Friday, November 28, 2008

Hancock



This summer was the best movie summer that I can remember in a long time. It was so good that I neglected Springfield's best and coolest movie theater The Moxie. The Moxie is now open at their new location, which is bigger and better than ever! The summer movies came to a screeching halt with the preview of Hancock. The trailer told me I could wait to see it. I love the idea of a mean homeless looking drunk with superpowers, but what the trailers were showing me just wasn't enough. Time went on and I just figured that the King of July 4th had another Wild Wild West under his belt. This week Hancock was released on DVD, so I went by the ole Redbox to see what I was missing. It turns out that Hancock wasn't all that bad, but it wasn't that great either. The powerful alcoholic and clumsy John Hancock is the most hated person in Los Angeles, and in the process protecting L.A and saving lives; he also destroys properties causing high cost to the city to fix his damages. When he saves the life of public relations agent Ray Embrey from a train, the executive feels in debt to Hancock and wants to help change his image.

I love the idea of a superhero dealing with the consequences of the real world. Hancock truly is a bull in a china shop when it comes to fighting crime, and the city won't stand for it. It is those moments in the film that Will Smith truly shines as the title character.

Sadly the movie does have a pivotal twist that I can't mention at all. This twist is an interesting story device, but the outcome made for a very weak final act in the film. Hancock could make for an interesting franchise.

It's a C+ for Hancock! Enjoy!!! ~Caleb

No comments: