Friday, August 30, 2013

YOU'RE NEXT

YOU'RE NEXT is one of the funnest horror movies you'll see in a theater this year! Really had a blast with this one. 2013 so far has been one of the best years in horror. We've got YOU'RE NEXT, THE CONJURING, V/H/S/2, and THE ABC'S OF DEATH just to name a few. I still haven't seen THE PURGE or EUROPA REPORT yet but word of mouth on those have been promising. We still have INSIDIOUS: CHAPTER 2 which I'm honestly not that excited for. Overall the horror films I've seen this year has got me excited about the genre again.

I'm not a big fan of the Home Invasion sub-genre in horror. Frankly because it scares the crap out of me. I remember that movie THE STRANGERS sticking with me for a couple of days. I'm more of a over stylized slasher flick kind of guy. Movies like FRIDAY THE 13TH PART IV: THE FINAL CHAPTER, EVIL DEAD II, and A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET 3: THE DREAM WARRIORS are genuinely my cup of tea.

I am a big fan of SCREAM and it's subsequent sequels. Looking back on the horror of the 90's I find myself being kind of annoyed at the lack of gore and how every film had to be cynical. For some reason every slasher film had to be smart and self aware. This trend still carries on today but thankfully it's not in every single horror movie.

Written and directed respectively by Simon Barrett and Adam Wingard, YOU'RE NEXT gets it right. Now generally I'd give a brief description of how events in the film play out. I'm not going to do that with YOU'RE NEXT. Frankly I can't. All I can tell you is what you should already know from the trailers. This movie is a home invasion film. From my vagueness you could guess that the film takes a turn. Yes. Yes it does, and let me tell you what an awesome turn it is!

Things that I will share. The acting is pretty good. Fun family dynamic when all the characters are gathered around the dinner table for their parents anniversary. The gore and practical effects were amazing! Speaking of the effects work, it should be noted that Springfield, Missouri's very own Mike Strain did the FX work in the film. Good job Mike!

Actress Sharni Vinson steals the show. I hope to see a lot more of her soon. Horror and Action movie filmmakers take note. Sharni has the potential to be a badass newcomer. I'd love to see her in that rumored all female cast Expendables-ish movie. Her IMDB page says her next film should be PATRICK, a remake of the Australian cult-classic. Interesting. Highly recommended for horror movie fans! With the success of YOU'RE NEXT I hope to see more of the continued rise in indie horror popularity. Also keep an eye out for a funny cameo from the director of HOUSE OF THE DEVIL.

YOU'RE NEXT is well on it's way to becoming my favorite horror movie of 2013, if not my favorite slasher/ home invasion sub-genre flick of the year!

No comments: