Wednesday, December 31, 2014

TOP 10 FAVORITES OF 2014

It's that time of year again, time for the top ten films I saw in 2014. Man, 2014 was an awesome year for movies! There's still a lot of films I haven't seen yet, some are my fault (THE BABADOOK) and others were out of my control (INHERENT VICE). I'm just glad I got to see WHIPLASH at the last minute.

There's a lot of good films I saw this year so I really don't have time to list any "close but no cigar" picks. But to kick things off I'm going to pick one film that I thought was the worst film I saw in 2014. I knew this film was going to be bad, but holy cow did this film suck (no pun intended)

DARIO ARGENTO'S DRACULA

Here are some other ones that I thought we're pretty awful.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY

OLDBOY

TAMMY

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

And let's not forget the biggest let down of 2014,

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

Okay! Now on to the good stuff!

BIRDMAN OR THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

BOYHOOD

WHIPLASH

ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE

GODZILLA

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

The Top 10

10. EDGE OF TOMORROW

I really dislike the ending of this movie, but there is no denying that this was one of the best genre films of 2014! And nobody saw it. Shame on you all! Get over your Tom Cruise hate and rent one of the best summer films of the year. And if you do indeed cannot stand Tom Cruise then you'll have the time of your life because he dies a million times in this thing!

9. JOHN WICK

Don't steal his car and especially don't kill his dog, which was a gift from his dying wife. I love action movies and JOHN WICK was the film I've been waiting years for Hollywood to make. It's almost perfect. I wouldn't change a thing, except maybe that ending.

8. SNOWPIERCER

The American debut from Korean filmmaker Joon-ho-Bong (The Host). So now all three of my favorite Korean directors have done their English language debut, and this film is my favorite of the bunch!

Set in a future where a failed climate change experiment goes wrong and wipes out most of the Earths population. The survivors find home on board Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe. On the train a class system has formed. A group of lower class citizens from the back of the train are bound and determined to make it to the front of the train. The revolution has begun!

7. CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

A breath of fresh air for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This film being part thriller and part comic book movie is a nice touch to the series. The opening scene still gets me every time! “On your left”!

6. GONE GIRL

The greatest “turn” in a film I've seen in 2014. One so great that merely mentioning it can ruin the movie. And get this, Madea very well could get a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this film! Funny as it sounds, it's well deserved. All the major acting awards are well deserved for GONE GIRL.

5. DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

Apes riding horses! What more do you need? In all seriousness though the new Apes films are kicking butt! The original is one of my favorite genre films of all time. It's a miracle we're even getting a new series after that Tim Burton disaster.

I think 2011's RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES is a little better but like I said, apes riding horses!

4. INTERSTELLAR

INTERSTELLAR is my favorite big screen experience of 2014. 70mm IMAX all the way!

3. NIGHTCRAWLER

Holy crap! It's been since Halloween and I still think about this movie daily. This is Jake Gyllenhaal's best performance!

2. THE RAID 2

THE RAID 2 might be the greatest action film ever made. THE RAID was amazing and like everybody else I thought the sequel would be just more of the same. But what we got was the Godfather Part II of action sequels. This film is so badass that it has a fight scene that I've watched three times now, and I still get goose bumps at how it's going to end!

1. GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY is awesome! Go back and read my review to see why! But to be perfectly honest I didn't think it was going to be my cup of tea at first. The comic book movie balloon has to pop sometime, and I really thought this was going to be Marvel Studio's first bomb. Boy, was I wrong (I'm wrong most of the time anyways). I think this franchise is the new crowned king of the MCU, and I'm not complaining.

No comments: