Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Reservoir Dogs

Rewatched this one with COX the other night. I can remember watching this around 1995 to 1996 (around my Junior Year in High School). I don't remember much about it, probably because I was just a kid waiting for the violence & "cool scenes". I got much more out of this film this time around. It is amazing how one can interpret a movie so much differently when you are older. I am interested to see what I think about certain movies 10 years from now.

Obviously, a Quentin Tarantino flick. Does a fabulous job making this feel real & gritty with the editing, camera angles, pans, "flashbacks", and so on. He is truly an artist & one of the best nonetheless. It is not "over the top", as some of these gangster-type films can seem to be. And I say "gangster", but it is hard to throw it in a category like that. It is in its' own for sure.

Can anyone say awesome cast?:
Harvey Keitel as Mr. White
Tim Roth as Mr. Orange
Michael Madsen as Mr. Blonde
Chris Penn as Nice Guy Eddie Cabot
Steve Buscemi as Mr. Pink
Lawrence Tierney as Joe Cabot
Kirk Baltz as Marvin Nash
Edward Bunker as Mr. Blue (as Eddie Bunker)
Quentin Tarantino as Mr. Brown

There is some violence, but not bad by todays standards. There is a lot of dialogue, however it is ALL great & is very well done. This is one of Tarantino's finest. Not all will be pleased by this movie, but that is not the point. If you are a Tarantino fan, or know his work, then you will love this one.
Rating: A
--SammyB
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So much to say about Reservoir Dogs so little space. The first time I saw this movie I had no idea who Tarantino was. In my early teenager years I rented movies from this local joint called Movies n Video. I rented a lot from that place so they knew me by name. One of the employees knew I liked action movies so he told me to check "Dogs" out. I did and my first impression was originality and violence portrayed like I haven't seen before. That was years ago, and today my appreciation for the film, and it's director continues to grow.

Reservoir Dogs is a heist movie but so much more. Most genre movies are reflective appreciations of each other. In other words, if you've seen one heist movie you've seen em all. With Reservoir Dogs, he turns the heist genre on its head. He reinvents the heist genre. I can't think of any crime/heist movies I have seen where the movie doesn't even show you the heist. I don't think there are very many crime movies where the bad guys talk about normal everyday things. Tarantino loves his characters and the actors who play them. He gives them cool background music; he gives them wonderful dialogue. All these things happen in the first 10 plus minutes of the movie. The opening scene takes place in a diner. Sitting around a large table is a group of guys all dressed up in suits. One of the men starts talking (in lurid detail) about the "true" meaning of Madonna's "Like A Virgin". What a way to start a movie. The conversation then segways to K-Billys Super Sounds of the 70's weekend, then the famous rant of why Mr. Pink doesn't tip his waitresses. They leave the restaurant in slow motion with "Little Green Bag" playing as background music. Mr. Tarantino knows what cool is.

Six strangers are recruited by a crime boss to hold up a diamond wholesalers. When the alarm is tripped and the police are quick on the draw, the surviving crooks try to figure out what went wrong and maybe who set them up. Greatness all around. "Reservoir Dogs", Tarantino's directorial debut gets an A+!!
Enjoy!~COX

No comments: