Friday, August 7, 2009

G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra


From the very first trailer this movie looked all shades of bad. Hollywood has tried this formula before with the '90's STREET FIGHTER and MORTAL KOMBAT movies and we all know how thoes pieces of crap turned out. The fact that a G.I. JOE movie was going to be helmed by the guy responsible for VAN HELSING wasn't very promising to me to say the least. I just felt this movie was doomed from the very start.

Would it be fair of me to say that G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA is a good movie or one of the best of the summer? No it would not because quite honestly it is not. What the movie is I can honestly say is a honest to goodness; bad to the bone Saturday morning sugar coated crazy G.I.JOE movie. This film is 100% G.I. JOE!

Purists will scoff at a lot of what the movie did not translate from the cartoon or the comics, but all of that can be forgiven in my opinion because what the filmmakers did do right was capture the essence of what playing with the toys or the cartoon was about and that is FUN. I have only one big flaw with the film and that is the stupid slow motion action. I am fine with a slow motion punch, kick, and even the occasional gun blast. What I am not okay with is when this over used special effect is used for stupid stuff like A JET DODGING A MISSILE OR BLAST OF SOME KIND! This happened in the movie way too much.

What I love most about this film is that it's JOE'S fighting COBRA. The movie does have a weak but not too dumb back story for some of our favorite characters to create some drama to carry the action along. Unlike that other 80's toy and cartoon movie that is more about a boy and his robot changing car.

So if you were a kid growing up in the late seventies and early eighties and watching Saturday morning cartoons was your thing, then you should love G.I. JOE: THE RISE OF COBRA! B+ Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Caleb

No comments: