Thursday, December 25, 2014

THE INTERVIEW

Last week scared me. Really scared me. It scared me how quickly “fear” prevented the release of a comedy in America. We lost. But how do you deal with bullies? You stand up for yourself and fight back if necessary. And on December 24th 2014, Sony along with selected theaters across America did just that! THE INTERVIEW is now streaming online and will be in theaters Christmas Day.

About a month ago when I watched INTERSTELLAR in 70mm IMAX it was my favorite theatrical experience of this year. And probably for several years to come. That all changed with the Sony hack and controversy surrounding THE INTERVIEW. Let's just say George Clooney and I share the same sentiment when it comes to dictators telling Americans what they can or cannot watch. So now that the politics are out of the way, let's talk about the movie.

On Christmas Eve I had the privilege to rent THE INTERVIEW online. And like I thought, the movie was average with some amazing comedic performances. It's easily the best comedy I've seen in 2014, but that's not saying much when your competition is TAMMY or SEX TAPE.

In case you've been living under a rock, you should know the plot of THE INTERVIEW and the story behind it's cancellation. James Franco and Seth Rogen play Dave Skylark and Aaron Rapoport who run a celebrity tabloid talk show called “Skylark Tonight”. When they land an interview with surprise fan, North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, they are recruited by the CIA to turn their trip to Pyongyang into an assassination mission.

The movie is good, not great. Rogen and Franco are a duo I hope we continue to see more of. I've been a big fan since PINEAPPLE EXPRESS and thought it and THIS IS THE END were both masterpieces.

I hate reviewing comedies because I don't want to give anything away or most importantly ruin good jokes. Seriously, I'm the worse when it comes to trying to explain a funny scene. Some of my favorite moments are when Dave (Franco) is hanging out with Jong-un, played by Randall Park. It's Park who really steals the show in THE INTERVIEW. The whole movie hangs on his performance. And he nails it! If he hadn't, then the film as a whole would really be another forgettable comedy.

Acting wise Seth Rogen has been putting out funny funny stuff recently. He's good in this film, but what I am becoming more impressed with is his talents behind the camera. Last years THIS IS THE END was one of my favorite films of 2013. And with all the attention that THE INTERVIEW is getting, I don't seeing things slowing down for these guys. Directors Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen are quite the team. It takes talent to make a screwball comedy that also shows glimpses of the cruel realities going on in North Korea. But the film stays funny from beginning to end. The satire never gets real preachy. Which is a good thing.

THE INTERVIEW is highly recommended! Go see it to support freedom of artistic expression, and then stay for the biting satire and occasional dick and fart joke.

Go see a movie this holiday weekend. It doesn't have to be THE INTERVIEW, there are plenty of other good flicks now playing at the theater.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: