Sunday, February 22, 2015

87th Academy Awards

For the past 2 years I've shared my thoughts on the Academy Awards. This year my hearts not in it but why stop now. I'm not going to hit every category because for example, I haven't seen any of the Documentaries nominated or any of the Shorts. And I've only seen one of the Animated films that's nominated.

Let's face it, The Oscars have always been political due to the method of campaigning. When I watched the annual ceremony growing up the “campaigning” didn't bother me, because of course I didn't know it was going on. As an adult watching it seems the politics have gotten worse. I'm not sad, that's just how it is. What I do find sad is the snubs that happen every year. But that's a whole different blog post.

Okay let's get this party started! The award for Best Visual Effects, and the nominees are:

X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST

INTERSTELLAR

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER

I think it will be between INTERSTELLAR and DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES. This is a difficult choice for me but I'm going to root for INTERSTELLAR just because I'm a fan of practical effects and miniatures. This film rocked it in 70mm IMAX!

This next one I'm uncertain about. The award for Best Adapted Screenplay, and the nominees are:

AMERICAN SNIPER

THE IMITATION GAME

INHERENT VICE

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

WHIPLASH

The popular safe bet is probably between THE IMITATION GAME and THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING. In my opinion the one to look out here for is WHIPLASH. Yep, I'm rooting for WHIPLASH.

Now here are the nominees for Best Original Screenplay: BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

BOYHOOD

FOXCATCHER

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

NIGHTCRAWLER

I don't think there is any doubt with this one, BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE) will be the winner.

For Best Sound Editing the nominees are: AMERICAN SNIPER

BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

THE HOBBIT: THE BATTLE OF THE FIVE ARMIES

INTERSTELLAR

UNBROKEN

Don't count out AMERICAN SNIPER in this category but I think it's a safe bet INTERSTELLAR will nab most if not all the technical awards this year.

The nominees for Best Sound Mixing: AMERICAN SNIPER

BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

WHIPLASH

INTERSTELLAR

UNBROKEN

Again, like I said INTERSTELLAR is the obvious pick here. But BIRDMAN just might upset the Christopher Nolan masterpiece.

Best Production Design, the nominees are: THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

THE IMITATION GAME

INTERSTELLAR

INTO THE WOODS

MR. TURNER

Disney always seems to do well in this category so I'm going to say INTO THE WOODS will win. But I kind of want THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL to win!

This next category I would generally skip, but there is a film nominated here that should win hands down and that is GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY for Best Makeup and Hairstyling!

Best Music – Original Score:

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

THE IMITATION GAME

INTERSTELLAR

MR. TURNER

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

If fit the movie but I wasn't too impressed with Zimmer's score for INTERSTELLAR. And where is GONE GIRL, BIRDMAN, and NIGHTCRAWLER? All three has awesome original music. Seeing that THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING won a Golden Globe for this category, I'm sure it'll win an Oscar as well.

The nominees for Best Film Editing are: AMERICAN SNIPER

BOYHOOD

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

THE IMITATION GAME

WHIPLASH

This one should only really be between BOYHOOD and BUDAPEST HOTEL. If AMERICAN SNIPER wins in Sound Editing and or Sound Mixing, then it might sneak an win. But let's face it, AMERICAN SNIPER isn't going to win anything. I can totally see why WHIPLASH is nominated here. The intensity of music performance and acting had me by the balls! Worthy nomination!

Best Cinematography: BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

IDA

MR. TURNER

UNBROKEN

No doubt in my mind that it'll be another win for Emmanuel Lubezki with the excellent BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

The nominees for Best Directing: BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

BOYHOOD

FOXCATCHER

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

THE IMITATION GAME

I'm 99% certain the award will go to Richard Linklater for BOYHOOD. But Alejandro G. Iñárritu may steal for the win with BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role:

Patricia Arquette – BOYHOOD

I have not seen WILD or INTO THE WOODS yet so I cannot make a honest pick. But from what I have seen, Patricia Arquette is my pick to win.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role:

Do I even have to list the nominees? We all know J.K. Simmons will win for WHIPLASH!

Best Actress in a Lead Role:

I cannot speak for three of the performances so as far as I'm concerned it's a free for all. But I loved Rosamund Pike in GONE GIRL!

Best Actor in a Lead Role:

Steve Carell – FOXCATCHER

Bradley Cooper – AMERICAN SNIPER

Benedict Cumberbatch – THE IMITATION GAME

Micheal Keaton – BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

Eddie Redmayne – THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

Yes! I want Keaton to win an Oscar.

And last but not least, the nominees for Best Picture AMERICAN SNIPER

BIRDMAN OR (THE UNEXPECTED VIRTUE OF IGNORANCE)

BOYHOOD

THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL

THE IMITATION GAME

SELMA

THE THEORY OF EVERYTHING

WHIPLASH

If BIRDMAN won I wouldn't complain but I think we all know the winner will be BOYHOOD.

No comments: