Wednesday, December 30, 2015

"Best" Of 2015

I didn't get to see all the movies I wanted to this year. And I missed some pretty high profile releases like BRIDGE OF SPIES, JOY, and STEVE JOBS. One that I really wanted to see this year but can't because it is in limited release is THE REVENANT. Oh well, you can't see them all I guess! Anyway here is my Top 10 of 2015. These are my favorite films of the year that I saw. If a movie isn't on the list it's because I didn't see it or I didn't like it.

Before we get started, here are some honorable mentions.

THE BIG SHORT

INSIDE OUT

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 5: ROUGE NATION

Okay, here we go!

10. THE MARTIAN

I was worried at first about this one. A man alone on Mars, and sad-face Matt Damon. I can't wait! Thankfully that wasn't the case! THE MARTIAN turned out to be lighthearted with some serious moments. And, it was funny. It was nice to see director Ridley Scott back in top form. And this was one of my favorite Matt Damon performances in a long time.

9. CRIMSON PEAK

This year I started watching the films of Mario Bava. I love the directors use of color and penchant for Gothic horror. So in a weird way, I was ready for this film. Audiences did not take to this one due to false advertising. But I think over time it'll will get the respect it deserves thanks to home video.

There is an atmosphere to CRIMSON PEAK, and the best way to watch the film is let visuals wash over you. The plot is secondary. One of the most beautiful films of the year!

8. SICARIO

Probably the most intense film I saw this year. There were moments were I could not breathe, or move for that matter! I cannot wait to watch this again!

7. KINGSMAN: THE SECRET SERVICE

The best James Bond 007 movie this year wasn't SPECTRE, it was KINGSMAN.

6. EX MACHINA

Screenwriter of great films such as 28 DAYS LATER and DREDD, come Alex Garland's directorial debut EX MACHINA. And what a debut it is! Now, I am not an expert when in comes to hard science fiction. I like it, but I'm also more of a Star Wars kid. All in all, EX MACHINA is the best science fiction film I've seen in a long time.

5. IT FOLLOWS

I can't remember the last time I loved a horror movie this much. More importantly, a horror movie with layers. IT FOLLOWS is about so much more than a sex monster. And the soundtrack is killer!

4. CREED

I've always been a big Sylvester Stallone fan, and I love the Rocky franchise. So It came as no surprise that I was going to see the seventh installment, CREED. What I did not realize however, was how much I like the film. I love this movie! It's the second best in the series and Stallone delivers my favorite Rocky Balboa performance!

3. THE HATEFUL EIGHT

My favorite director has done it again! THE HATEFUL EIGHT is a superb film. The 167 min runtime flew by in the blink of an eye. I just got done seeing this tonight. I wanna give it the number 1 spot, but that would be kinda premature and bias. Expect a review real soon!

2. MAD MAX FURY ROAD

This film is Rock n' Roll, plain and simple!

1. STAR WARS THE FORCE AWAKENS

Yep, you saw this coming a mile away. But I don't care. I've waited 32 years for a sequel to RETURN OF THE JEDI and THE FORCE AWAKENS delivered the goods! It's all in my review. Star Wars is back! Forever...

Well, there you have it! 2015 was such a great year for movies. Thanks for reading and expect more posts and reviews in 2016!

Happy New Year!

No comments: