Sunday, March 27, 2016

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is the most frustrating comic book movie experience I've had in awhile. Frustrating, because I'm so mixed on what I thought of the film. I liked it! that is a fact, but it's got a lot of stupid stuff in it. Real stupid.

As a comic book fan, I really liked the movie. There were times I even loved what I was seeing. But BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE isn't perfect and deserves the criticism it is receiving.

The sequel to MAN OF STEEL picks up 18 months after the world was introduced to Superman. But first we are shown the attack on Metropolis from the point of view of Bruce Wayne. And he is pissed! It's a powerful scene and we get a clear understanding why Bruce hates the last son of Krypton.

But there may just be someone who hates Superman more! The son of Lex Luthor, Alexander. While watching the movie you may have blinked and missed some character development? He basically wants to have some control and order for meta-humans. Apparently Superman isn't the only god among us? Oh, and Alexander is crazy! I have two thoughts on this; one, he is a clone of his dad and two, he is being manipulated by the DC universe villain known as Darkseid. I really believe both of those are correct!

While saving Lois Lane in Africa, Superman is set up by mercenaries for killing some people. A U.S senator wants answers and Luthor gets involved to bend the favor toward his will.

Meanwhile, Bruce is tracking a potential WMA and discovers it's kryptonite. After a terrorist bombing of a Capital building involving Superman, enough is enough and Batman steals the green rock from Lex Corp. He decides Superman is a threat to our world and must be killed.

The plot thickens as it becomes evident that Alexander Luthor is behind the whole thing and forces the two titans to fight to the death. Like any good evil mastermind, Luthor has a back up plan in the form of a General Zod mutated monster. And if you've seen the trailer you know already that DC's holy trinity (Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman) team up to fight the monster.

Man, BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is a lot to take in! A lot of things in the film don't make sense and it's overstuffed with cinematic universe world building, but I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy this film! While not perfect, this is the DC comic book movie I've been waiting for!

The things I hated. Why do people believe or think that Superman actually killed those “terrorists” in Africa with a gun? Why didn't Superman see the bomb in the Capital building? Why is Bruce Wayne not smart enough to realize he's being punked by Luthor? This is a detective we're talking about here! And last but not least, the appearance of Doomsday was way too soon!

I have a few more questions and complaints but the rest are extreme nitpicks.

The things I liked/didn't have a problem with. I liked that Luthor had files of other meta-humans in the world. It made sense plot wise. At the beginning of the film he was trying to get government approval to protect the world from these “threats”.

I liked the Knightmare dream sequence, it was so bad ass! Darksied is coming! Someone pinch me, Darksied is coming! And I felt this whole sequence had weight to it for future films. Batman better settle his beef with Superman is all I'm saying.

BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is a gorgeous looking movie. It's cinematic in every sense of the word!

I loved the music! Especially Wonder Woman's theme! Which brings us to the surprise hit of the film, Diana Prince! Gal Gadot the short amount of time she's on screen made me optimistic about her upcoming stand alone film!

The main event of the film, Batman vs. Superman was adequate with moments of awesomeness. If you're a fan of Frank Miller's THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS then you'll love this fight. It could have gone longer and should have been the climax of the film, but oh well.

Ben Afleck as The Batman (heh) is the best thing about the DC cinematic universe! I have wanted a version of this character since for ever. Cannot wait to see what is in store!

And finally, Superman. I think we're seeing a slow evolution the character, he's not the iconic Boy Scout yet but he's getting there. I have faith that by the time JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART II comes out, he'll be sporting the spit curl.

If you like comic book movies then I recommend BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE. It has it's flaws but we're not talking BATMAN AND ROBIN bad. More like IRON MAN 2 bad.

No comments: