Thursday, March 6, 2008

Across the Universe


For me this film was like hearing a song then a few days go by and you find yourself humming a cheerful tune. I knew I liked Across the Universe after I saw it, only my brain took awhile to suck it all in. The film does have a lot to offer and when I say a lot I am referring to stunning visual techniques, top-notch performances, the 60's and The Beatles songbook.

In the film a young man named Jude who is from Liverpool, comes to America during the Vietnam War to find his father. He winds up in Greenwich Village, where he falls in love with an American girl named Lucy, who has grown up sheltered in the suburbs. Together they experience the sweeping changes of America in the late 60's.
Considering the time Across the Universe is set in, one would think the movie is political, it is not.

Jude and Lucy find love and with a little help from friends, they all go through a hippie period and anti war movement. When our group of friends hops on the magic bus to take a trip with Dr. Robert, I was sold for the rest of movie.

Across the Universe is wall to wall music and song, so telling you more would be like me making a cool list of what happens. I fear telling you more would come off as rambling, and that would be boring. Don't get caught up in thinking you won't like Across the Universe because your not going to hear the "real" songs.
I am a hardcore Beatles fan and glad to say that respect and integrity is maintained to the songs. Across the Universe is a must see for musical and Beatles fans. B+ Enjoy!!! ~Caleb

No comments: