Monday, March 17, 2008

American Teen

American Teen. Directed by Nanette Burstein. This is a documentary of 4 kids lives @ a high school in Warsaw, IN. It shows their senior year at the school. All the changes that they go through. All the trials that they face. They are all so different. There is a jock, a nerd, a drama queen, and a basket case. Do you remember "The Breakfast Club"? This takes a whole new look at these types of students in a real-life high school setting in 2007.

I loved this film. It was very original, because it was real. It really hit home for me. I love this genre of coming of age high school kids. I think that this film is going to be one that will be remembered and watched over and over by all. It may even hit like "Napolean Dynamite", or even "Juno" (which by the way are 2 films that I have very much respect for and give 2 huge thumbs up to).

This film also incorporates some animation, which I was not prepared for. It was great how it ties everything together. Without this animation, this film would still be great, however it adds that little extra that takes it to the next level.

I give this film an A-. Why not an A+ you say? I think that there could have been a few things that could have been touched up. You will see what I mean when you watch it, but with that said, I will say that the fact that there are mistakes does, in fact, make it more real.

Great Film. Check it out. You may have to see it at the Moxie, as I am not sure if it will come to the BIG theaters, but this will also make it just that much more special. THis was one of the films that COX and I viewed at the True/False Film Festival in Columbia, MO (which we WILL be returning to next year, and we WILL be viewing MORE films this next time).

1 comment:

Bryan Tucker said...

sounds almost like cult movie, such as dazed and confuzed. not much in the theater but huge following thereafter. i will check this movie out. thanks.