Monday, March 17, 2008

Horton Hears a Who


Took my 2 boys to see this. Their ages are 7 & 5. They thoroughly enjoyed this animated movie. I noticed that they did not move around a whole lot (like they normally do). It kept their attention, and they were laughing quite a bit.

For me, I remember the original Dr. Suess book. It did a great job capturing the animation of Suess, and really staying true to the wacky atmosphere. I was entertained. The story was good, but not great. I am not too sure if this is going to be one of the classic animations for me (ie: Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Nightmare before Xmas, Iron Giant, or The Incredibles). Although, sometimes it is hard to decide, because some movies actually get better each time that you watch them.

I would recommend this movie to about any age group, as it is fun for all. As you probably know, it stars Jim Carrey as Horton, and Steve Carell as the Mayor of Whoville. These guys are hilarious, and add some of their own great humor into their characters. I will say that Carrey seems to be on the downward slope of his career, and Carell on the upward. And maybe that is just because I have grown tired of Carreys comedy, and Carells is new, and seems to be a little refreshing. Some of the voices that you may not know that star in "Horton" are Carol Burnett, Will Arnett, Seth Rogan, Jonah Hill, Amy Poehler, Jaime Pressly, Jesse McCartney, and others.

I give Horton a B+. It is a great & fun movie for all, but the story just lacks a little punch.
-SammyB

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Seuss is classic; after seeing Horton Hears a Who i was reminded how much good stuff that guy can pack into a simple storyline... they didn't add much to the original story either except for the usual Jim Carreyisms.