Saturday, July 11, 2009

I Love You Beth Coopper


Several if not all genre movies are for the most part meant to be comfort food. When you watch a slasher flick, mafia film, teen comedy, and even the chick flick. All these types of movies have rules that the audience loves or knows by heart. The really great genre films always tend to bend, reinvent, or the very risky changing of the rules. The type of films I tend to enjoy the most are genre movies. I really enjoy the familiar. I don't buy into the 'It was bad because it wasn't original' way of thinking when watching movies. The thing that I have been saying for years is that 'it's not always about the story, but how you tell the story'. This brings me to I LOVE YOU BETH COOPER the new teen comedy that will get lost in the multiplex this weekend due to BRUNO, ICE AGE: 3D, and whatever else is playing at a theater near you.

I did enjoy the movie but my being entertained I will admit is somewhat bias because I just really like teen comedies. The problems with I LOVE YOU BETH COOPER is that it plays the teen sex comedy too safe, which in turn really makes the movie look like a bad overplayed cliche. Too many times the movie was trying to be an R rated comedy wrapped up in a PG-13 one. The PG-13 comedy teen sex comedy can be done and the proof is the very funny and underrated FIRED UP. I blame the studio 20th Century Fox for this tiny blemish. Before I mention the rest of the things that I did not like or hurt the movie, let me tell you what it is about.

A nerdy valedictorian proclaims his love for the hottest and most popular girl in school, Beth Cooper during his graduation speech. Much to his surprise, Beth shows up at his door that very night and decides to show him the best night of his life.

Let me start with the nerd/geek factor, the movie nails it, but once these characters are established the script doesn't know where to take it. A character who constantly recount movie quotes the entire movie gets old very fast. You are a movie buff, we get it now move on! If that's all you got then you make yourself one dimensional and cliche. Now that I think about it the movie is just really cliche and weak. The things that I did like was that as cliched as the movie is the script does have good witty moments to it. The actors, especially the two leads play the characters very good. These people seem very real to me and not some fake MTV crap. The movie does have it's moments but they just come too little too late. I would hardly call the night Beth Cooper gave our hero the best night of his life.

It's a C- for I LOVE YOU BETH COOPER

No comments: