Saturday, July 18, 2009

Harry Potter and the Half - Blood Prince


It is a sure bet that anybody or everybody that reads this blog has or will be seeing this movie. HARRY POTTER and the HALF - BLOOD PRINCE is the movie event of the summer or perhaps the year! I could have posted a review earlier in the week but after two screenings I wanted to let the dust settle before giving a true opinion. Do I think that this sixth movie is the best movie in the series yet? No. Do I like the movie? Yes, yes I do like it a lot. While I like the movie very much I can't help but scratch my head at some of the adaptation choices. The main one being at the end with the very anti climatic battle at Hogwarts. The only thing that I can come up with is that the filmmakers went this route so that not to make these last three films in the series redundant? The other thing that I thought was weird was how very matter of fact the whole revelation of who the Half - Blood Prince was? The book made a big deal about it and it is the title of the film, so whats up with that? Now on to what I did like.

Two factors will always bring me to watch HARRY POTTER and the HALF - BLOOD PRINCE with a smile on my face. The first thing is Jim Broadbent as Professor Slughorn is hands down some of the best acting I have seen all year and one of the best performances in the film series ever! The second thing is the three main characters of Harry Potter. Watching these movies you the viewer really feel invested as a part of these kids lives, we have grown up with them. This factor is what really does it for me. It is the comradery going on between Harry, Ron and Hermione that makes this installment special. Budding romances are not the only thing going on, the movie has plenty doom and gloom.

In the sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft, and in both wizard and muggle worlds Lord Volemort and his henchmen are increasingly active. With vacancies to fill at Hogwarts, Professor Dumbledore persuades Horace Slughorn, back from retirement to become the potions teacher, while Professor Snape receives long awaited news. Harry Potter, together with Dumbledore, must face treacherous tasks to defeat his evil nemesis.

An excellent calm before the storm HARRY POTTER and the HALF - BLOOD PRINCE gets an A- Enjoy!!!!

~Caleb

No comments: