Friday, December 23, 2016

Favorites of 2016

This year wasn't a great year for film. A lot of the one's I wanted to love ended up being just okay. And let's face it Summer movies sucked in 2016! Either I'm getting older or they're getting stupider? The answer is both. But, I have a feeling 2017 is going to rock in terms of cinema!

To help ease the pain of January we've got SILENCE and LIVE BY NIGHT to look forward to. And we got LEGO BATMAN MOVIE and JOHN WICK CHAPTER 2 helping us through February. Then in Spring of 2017, things are going to start becoming awesome with Springfield, MO getting it's very own Alamo Drafthouse theater! I cannot wait.

Before I list my favorite movies of 2016 there are some films I haven't seen yet, LA LA LAND and MANCHESTER BY THE SEA were two movies that I was really hoping to see but probably won't get to until next year? Oh well. And as always if there is a critical darling that's not on my list it's because I probably haven't seen it, or didn't think it was as good as the 10 I picked.

Let's get to it shall we!

First, some honorable mentions: 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE, KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS, CAPTAIN AMERICA – CIVIL WAR, and THE NEON DEMON.

Top 10 Favorites Of 2016 (10 – 1)

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

When I heard that Richard Linklater was making a spiritual sequel to his 1992 film DAZED AND CONFUSED I like everybody else was skeptical. At least it wasn't going to be an actual sequel, that was good news! But could Linklater repeat the brilliance of his sophomore film without it being just a repeat? The answer is yes. The similarities are there and obvious, but I actual found the film to have more in common with his debut feature SLACKER. They're not all masterpieces but I've learned to never doubt the auteur Richard Linklater.

EDGE OF SEVENTEEN

I haven't been a teenager in quite awhile but I can't help but think that this film is the real deal. EDGE OF SEVENTEEN is the funniest and most important teenage coming-of-age film I've seen in a long time. I think moviegoers are afraid of real these days, especially real women. Nadine, who is the main character in this is a hot-mess and audiences don't like uncomfortable. They want Disney or 90's Alicia Silverstone.

THE HANDMAIDEN

From the director of OLDBOY, that's the only reason I saw this film. If not for Chan-wook Park I probably wouldn't have giving the film a shot. THE HANDMAIDEN is proof that I'll continue to watch anything from the director. I'm planning on a full review for Valentine's Day next year, so look forward to that! This film made me blush. Who says the erotic thriller is dead? Maybe fluff like FIFTY SHADES OF GREY but not THE HANDMAIDEN, nope, no sir.

DOCTOR STRANGE

In a time where comic book movie fatigue is starting to rear it's ugly head, Marvel Studios pulls a stunt like DOCTOR STRANGE and totally redeems the origin story superhero films that fans are getting tired of.

ARRIVAL

I think I like last year's SICARIO better, but Denis Villeneuve is a genius and I cannot wait for BLADE RUNNER 2049!!

ARRIVAL is great for being the alien invasion film it is not. That's all I can really say other than I highly recommend seeing the movie.

GREEN ROOM

I'm happy as a clam to finally have a grindhouse horror film on my 'Favorites' list. A beautifully shot drive-in movie is how I describe GREEN ROOM, and I love that!

HELL OR HIGH WATER

A movie about two brothers who only rob banks to pay off a mortgage with a Texas Ranger hot on their trail. The trailers for this made the movie look like a run-of-the-mill DTV release. The movie is anything but that! Highly recommended for those who love 70's cinema.

THE NICE GUYS

Shane Black just needs to go ahead and write and direct all the movies! That's going a little overboard I know, but damn, I just love Black's style. He is a master in pulp, double feature this with his KISS KISS BANG BANG and you'll know what I mean. This pairs very well with PULP FICTION so I'm told, and I 100% believe that!

And my favorite movie of 2016 is...

SING STREET

I haven't stopped thinking about this movie since I saw it. When it came out on Blu-Ray I let four or five people borrow it! A review is coming soon. Seriously, any of my top 5 picks could be number one, and up until 1/06/17, SING STREET was it. But not anymore.

And my favorite movie of 2016 is...

LA LA LAND

I almost didn't update my list but thinking about LA LA LAND overnight I couldn't stop help myself. The film is just pure musical magic. And what I think the movie is really about hit close to home. My review says it all!

Thanks for reading! I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments: