Friday, November 28, 2008

Bolt


I am not one of those thirty something film geeks that has always loved animated movies. I can't even remember the last animated movie I saw as a kid in a theater. It might have been an American Tail; the majority of my cartoon film watching was on home video. As a teenager I had some bad luck with Disney movies. I saw Aladdin and Lion King in high school; it was only then when I thought, okay time to see one of these in the theater. Bad move, Pocahontas anyone? So time went on and Toy Story was amazing, Shrek was genius, then Shrek 2 bit the big one, and finally The Incredibles reminded me what is was like to be a kid again. Pixar's latest film Wall-e will show Hollywood and moviegoers that an animated film can win a Best Picture Oscar.

Bolt is not Pixar but Walt Disney's latest animation tour de force. Bolt is the canine star of a fictional sci-fi action show. Bolt has always thought that his powers are real. Separated from his owner, Bolt embarks on a cross-country trek to save his co-star from a threat he believes is just as real.

The previews to this movie really didn't do much for me. When I saw that it was going to be presented in 3-D, I became more interested. Like I figured it would, the 3-D only made the animation pop more, a feature not worth an extra $2.00. The movie is actually quite entertaining. Like Kung-Fu Panda, gone are silly pop culture references that are really played out in animated movies today. The story in Bolt is kids stuff, but has enough substance for adults to be entertained, and all in all makes for a good family fun film. Bolt gets a B! Enjoy!!

~Caleb

P.S. The hamster is awesome!!!

No comments: